Antenatal classes or ChildBirth Education Classes also called birth and parenting classes, help you and your partner to get ready for labor, birth, breastfeeding and caring for a newborn baby. Most people say going to classes helps them feel more confident as the birth approaches.
Antenatal classes teach you about:
- How to prepare for labour
- the signs of labour and when to call the hospital
- the different stages of labour
- different birthing positions
- exercises to keep you fit and active during pregnancy
- Role of the partner
- relaxation and breathing skills to use during labour (coping strategies)
Some antenatal classes cover all these topics. Others focus on certain aspects, such as exercises and relaxation, or caring for your baby.
Some antenatal classes are offered online. These can be a good option for parents who cannot go to face-to-face classes.